This morning, we boarded the "Pride of Maui" for a 5-hour Snorkel Cruise complete with breakfast and lunch. I have never snorkeled before in my life. Not even in a pool. I've used a mask before, but never a "breathing stick". I was a little nervous, especially when they had already started the "beginners class" by the time we got on the top deck. I didn't like that. But, it was time to get in the water and I had a floatie-belt, so I felt safe enough. We used a cheapy underwater camera, so you won't see any pictures of all the pretty fish, since it wasn't digital. What did we ever do before digital?!
But I did take a few pictures here and there. Look at this water! It was perfectly clear. Where we set anchor, we snorkeled in 30 feet of water. Again, perfectly clear. Those are fish in the water in the first picture. It was so beautiful. Just like a National Geographic Documentary! Molokini is a left-over crater of a volcano. There are only three of these particular kind in the whole world and this is the only one you can snorkel at. There are two natural vents from the volcano that keep the water "filtered" and crystal clear all the time. You can see 200 feet away!. It was really amazing and I'm so glad that we had this experience. I would highly recommend it!
It was fun to share this special treat with Lamar and it was fun watching him being a fishy too!
After going to Molokini, we headed for what the locals call "Turtle Town", which basically is where the big old sea turtles hang out off shore. Here, the water wasn't as clear, although you could still see amazingly enough. Seeing all the coral and sea life down under was really cool. Seems that the turtles were hiding under the coral cliffs, although most everybody saw at least one. We did see one. He was really close and gave us quite a show! Did you know that only 1 in 10,000 of these sea turtles make it because of all the prey that eat them when they are itty bitty babies?! But, when they do make it to adulthood, they can live up to 300 years old! To think that we may have seen one that was alive when our nation was born! Wow!
Tuesday is Lamar's 53rd birthday. We hope to go to the east coast of Maui and drive the "Road to Hana". It is a very windy, narrow road with lots of one-lane bridges and lots of cliffs. Just my kind of drive! It's supposed to be gorgeous though and have lots to see along the way. We're looking forward to it. It will be our last full day before hopping on a plane for home. Ahhhh, it's been good.



Mom you're so pretty!
ReplyDelete