Lamar and Andy went kayaking years ago. I bought them rentals for Lamar's birthday so they could have a father/son memory. They had a blast and Lamar's been trying to convince me to go ever since.
For some reason, recently, I somehow lost my fear and decided I'm going for it! Don't ask me what changed. As far as I can tell, nothing.
But I will say, I wasn't really fearful today, but I was a little nervous. Not of being on the river, but getting in and out of the kayak itself. No matter how you do it, it's not pretty or graceful. And you know what? I didn't care! I just decided to have fun with it. We all laughed at each other and it was good. No, I drew the line at getting any photos of us making fools of ourselves or at least publishing them. But, I did give my permission to take a picture of me afterwards...I was pretty darned proud of myself! :-)
As soon as I was in the kayak, I knew I'd like it. It was so easy to do. OK, Lamar, you can tell me "I told you so" now! Easy to do, yes, but tomorrow, I have a feeling my arms will be screaming!
We couldn't have picked a more perfect day. It was cloudy this morning while I worked. By the time we picked up the Kayaks at 1:00, the clouds were just starting to burn off. By the time we got in the water, they were fluffy white cottonballs. The water was calm. Perfect!
We headed out of the bay and into the channel towards Scappoose. It was fun seeing everything from a different perspective! We live in such a beautiful place!
We followed the main channel until we saw a "street" going left...so we decided to see where that led. It went on and on forever, but it was so cool to be somewhere that was so quiet and beautiful. We felt like Lewis and Clark discovering new territory. But,finally, it was time to turn around. We'd already been out for almost three hours. I actually was disappointed that we had to get out of the kayaks. I don't know when we'll do this again, but...
I know it definitely will be soon!




I am totally with you on the scared to try kayaking thing. I have also seen too many or heard too many horror stories of being trapped. The ONLY reason I have not tried it. I love to canoe, so I think I can kayak too! Thanks for sharing your fun story, an inspiration even to me :) You can rent kayaks in Seattle and paddle along side floating houses which has always sounded fun to me.
ReplyDeleteSounds like so much fun! We have an old canoe, but we usually use one of the camps nicer ones. Tom wants to rent a kayak to see if we would like it- he is thinking two person. If I tell him about your adventures we will do it for sure. Lots of water ways here on the sound but we always stick to the lake here because our canoe is heavy and this is easiest.
ReplyDeleteOh you liked it SO much that you posted it on your blog? Not much gets on your blogs these days so you must have really enjoyed it! Well now Lamar knows what to get you for Christmas! ;-)
ReplyDelete--Leah T